Mekong Delta with its rustic beauty is one of the most popular choice for tourists when traveling to Vietnam.
Normally, visitors often combine their trips with famous destinations nearby like Ho Chi Minh City because of the convenience.
What about Hanoi? If you’re visiting Hanoi and consider a Mekong trip but do not know how to travel then our article below can help you.
How long is it from Hanoi to the Mekong River?
The Mekong River is one of the largest rivers in the world. This river comes from the high mountains of Qinghai province, passing through Tibet along the length of Yunnan province (China), through Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia before entering Vietnam.
In Vietnam, the Mekong River flows through Can Tho city and 12 southern provinces, collectively referred to as the Southwest or the Mekong Delta.
From Hanoi to the nearest location of Mekong Delta in brief (Long An city of Tien Giang province) is nearly 1,800 kilometers. With such a long distance, you, of course, should not come here by bus or car but by plane.
Saigon lies in the middle of the two locations, but it is close to the Mekong Delta, only 2-4 hours driving. Currently, to fly from Hanoi, you only have the choice of two airports in Saigon or Can Tho city.
Let’s see the advantages and disadvantages of each option.
Hanoi – Saigon – Mekong Delta
- Many travel agencies organize Mekong Delta tours and welcome guests from Saigon. If you want to go on a tour, flying to Saigon will be very reasonable.
- Saigon is also a must-come city in Vietnam. Traveling to Saigon before going to the Mekong River will be a memorable experience for you. Especially, you can also visit 5 appealing islands in South Vietnam.
- Every day, countless flights are operated from Hanoi to Saigon. Therefore, there are many points of time, airlines, and fare ranges for you to choose from.
- You will have to move quite a lot after landing. You can choose a taxi, motorbike taxi (not highly recommend), or passenger car to travel to Mekong Delta points.
How to go
You should book plane tickets 1-2 months in advance on the official website of Vietnamese airlines or through retail agents. If you’re lucky, you’ll find cheap tickets. Some reputable websites selling air tickets include Traveloka.com, Skyscanner.com, and Bestprice.vn, etc.
Ticket prices from Hanoi to Saigon will fluctuate from VND 1.5-4 million depending on the airline and flight time.
After landing at Tan Son Nhat Airport (Saigon), you will move to the city center by taxi or motorcycle taxi. Some cheap and reputable taxi companies in Saigon are Mai Linh (028.38383838), Vinasun (028.38272727), Savico (028.38212121), Saigon Air (028.38118118), and Saigontourist (028.38458888), etc.
To reach the Mekong Delta provinces, you will arrive at the Eastern bus station at 292 Dinh Bo Linh, Ward 26, Binh Thanh District to buy tickets. Otherwise, you can buy online tickets on the official website of the bus terminal that is benxemiendong.com.vn. Fares will range from VND 100,000 to 300,000 depending on the distance you need to go.
Hanoi – Can Tho
- Moving straight to Can Tho means you will save a lot of time, effort, and travel expenses.
- Can Tho has a very convenient location that is in the middle of the Mekong Delta, so moving to other provinces will be effortless and cost-saving.
- Because flights from Hanoi to Can Tho are not much, your travel time will be much more limited than flying to Saigon.
How to go
You’ll buy airplane tickets as the way to fly to Saigon, but the Tan Son Nhat Airport will be replaced by Can Tho Airport.
From the airport to the city center, you can choose a taxi, bus, or motorbike taxi. Currently, many taxi companies operate in Can Tho Airport, including Mai Linh (0710.3.82.82.82), Hoang Anh (0710.3.79.79.79), Can Tho taxi (0710.3.69.69.69), and Hoang Long (0710.3.688.688), etc. Travel cost by taxi is about VND 200,000-400,000 depending on each location.
To move to other provinces, you can go to the central bus station of Can Tho city on National Highway 1A, Hung Thanh, Cai Rang District to buy passenger car tickets.
Hope that with our guide of the best ways to move from Hanoi to the Mekong River, your trip will be much more comfortable and effortless. For further information about the best ways to go from Hoi An to Nha Trang and more, feel free to contact us or visit our website. Please like and share the article with others if you find it useful for you. Thank you.
You must log in to post a comment.